Study with New York’s Artistic Directors/Choreographers and train with professional dancers.
Summer Study NYC (SSNYC) is total immersion in New York’s concert and commercial dance worlds for the dancer preparing for a professional career. It offers intermediate and advanced dancers, (ages 18 & older) an intensive program that combines training and performance with the opportunity to network and build lasting professional connections. Offering a Theater Dance/Jazz and a Contemporary session, students may audition for either one or two 4-week sessions with classes taught by world renowned masters as well as by our illustrious faculty. Both sessions will incorporate Steps’ partnerships with such iconic legends as the Verdon Fosse Legacy Project and American Dance Machine for the 21st Century, not to mention our ever popular Steps with Contemporary Master Series.
SUMMER STUDY NYC PROGRAM
The program includes the following components:
- DAILY TECHNIQUE CLASSES with Steps permanent and guest faculty
- STEPS with CONTEMPORARY MASTERS – Not-to-be-missed special 2-hour classes with theater and contemporary masters, artistic directors and choreographers. Teachers may include Verdon Fosse Legacy Reconstructuers, American Dance Machine for the 21st Century Broadway choreographers, Chet Walker, and recurring Steps with Contemporary Master Series icons such as Andrea Miller (Artistic Dir., Gallim Dance), Dwight Rhoden & Desmond Richardson (Artistic Dirs., Complexions Contemporary Ballet), Donald Byrd (Artistic Dir., Spectrum Dance).
- REPERTORY – Students in both sessions will rehearse material to present in the final showcase. Pieces range from classical musical theater excerpts to unique contemporary works.
- CREATIVE TOOLS – Choreographers share their creative process and students learn collaborative approaches to creating movement phrases. Facilitated by Tiffany Rea-Fisher (Artistic Dir., Elisa Monte Dance) this workshop culminates in compositions presented in each end-of-semester showcase.
- PERFORMANCE SKILLS/VOCAL/ACTING – Discover practical techniques that enhance a dancers’ artistry in performance. Go beyond “the steps”.
- SHOWCASE PERFORMANCE in Steps Studio Theater.
Students from past summers have been hired by Heidi Latsky Dance and performed at Lincoln Center, The Skirball Center, The High Line, as well as awarded apprenticeships with Rioult Dance NY! and Elisa Monte Dance.