As 2017 comes to a close, let’s take a look back at some of our highlights from this year:
- There is nothing quite like the feeling of a new dance floor! Brand new floors in both Studio 4 and Annex II were put in this year and our tappers had the best time breaking them in!
- We welcomed a bunch of new classes and workshops, including the Ultimate Intro Belly Dance with Kaeshi Chai and Swing Dance Workshops with Spencer Weisbond, the Jack Cole Technique and Rep Workshop with Chet Walker, Men’s Ballet with Daniel Catanach, Contemporary Pointe with Margo Sappington and Modern Dance for the Mature Dancer with Naomi Goldberg-Haas.
- The Steps Beyond Foundation held several successful events in their Performance Lab Series and Artists Talk Series, bringing in great dance visionaries to share their wisdom and their work. Works were presented by Billy Griffin, Davis Robertson, and Sidra Bell to name a few. Monica Bill Barnes, Kurt Froman, Grover Dale, Camille Brown and Pam Tanowitz were among some of the influential speakers at our Artists Talks this year. The community engagement program grew from pre-school programs at the Hudson Guild to include Latin classes for seniors at the Henry Street Settlement.
- The Verdon Fosse Legacy, LLC returned for their Master Class Series at Steps. Dana Moore, Lloyd Culbreath and Mimi Quillin each taught rep of Mr. Fosse’s throughout the three week series. They’ll also be returning this January 8th-27th and we can’t wait!
- We bid farewell to our incredible Steps Conservatory graduates in June 2017, and welcomed in an excellent new class in September 2017! We are so proud of all they are accomplishing. The Conservatory holds their end of semester showcase at the end of every January and June and they are always spectacular with original pieces and repertory taught by American Dance Machine for the 21st Century!
- The NEW Steps Boutique opened and has put out the cutest and coolest apparel! Who knew sweatpants and tank tops could bring us so much joy? Some new stuff is heading our way this year and let me tell you, it’s going to be epic. #stepschic
- The School at Steps held their annual Spring and Holiday Showcases. These kids have got some serious talent and we love watching them practice in between our own classes at Steps! Sending positive vibes to their Advanced II ballet students heading to the Youth America Grand Prix.
- Steps and The School at Steps began a partnership with the Children’s Museum of Manhattan to promote their new exhibit, “Let’s Dance.” Students in the Conservatory and the International Independent Study Program and in the School at Steps have done performances this past fall celebrating Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the holiday season.
- Our students and teachers have had much success of their own this year and we continue to be so happy and proud of them. Congratulations to all of you who reached a goal this year! It is so important to be surrounded by positive, inspirational people and here at Steps, we feel that our students and teachers emote this on a daily basis.
- This year, we welcomed so many new staff members, faculty and students. We are most thankful for their hard work, love and support in making Steps what it is today!
Happy New Year to all and may 2018 be full of happiness, light and A LOT of dancing!
– Talia Putrino