“I enjoy this program everyday. I don’t know where or what I would be doing if I had never come here. I’ve been feeling really lucky recently to be at Steps and in New York City doing what I love everyday. Keep the challenges coming, keep pushing me, keep me busy. I’m ready for it, and I can do it. I think that is my new motto, or maybe that has always been my motto. Now I believe it.”
– Macy K.
The Steps Conservatory prepares intermediate and advanced dancers, ages 17-24* for a professional career in the concert and commercial dance worlds. This two-year curriculum-based program is designed to strengthen students’ technique and artistry through study and performance.
Upon the successful completion of the program, students graduate with a Certificate of Completion, have a network of professional contacts, and are well-trained, versatile, multi-disciplinary artists.
Students in the Steps Conservatory have studied with:
- Artistic Directors/Choreographers of Contemporary Dance Companies –
Juan Rodriguez, Davis Robertson, Marielis Garcia, Max Stone, Bradley Shelver, Heidi Latsky, Janis Brenner, Gabrielle Lamb, Terk Lewis, Fredrick Earl Mosley
- American Dance Machine for the 21st Century
- Broadway & Off-Broadway Choreographers – Chet Walker, Billy Griffin, Al Blackstone, Bill Hastings, Jack Gill, Chaz Wolcott
- Career Planning & Professional Marketing Services – Fran Kirmser, Jaqlin Medlock, Calabay Productions, Jacob Hiss, Bob Rizzo, Katy Kauffman
- Health & Wellness – Wendy Reinert, Harkness Center for Dance Injuries, Monika Sagal MS, RD, CEDRD, CDN, Dawn Smith-Theodore; Rachel Fine MS, RD, CSSD, CDN, Adrienne Stevens, EdD; FuncPhysio Therapists
- Verdon Fosse Legacy Project Reconstructeurs –
Lloyd Culbreath, Dana Moore, Mimi Quillin
- Vocal & Acting Coaches –
VP Boyle, Jan Horvath, Paul Peglar, Bronwen Carson
And have performed in the following:
- Steps Beyond Foundation’s Performance Labs
- End of Semester Showcases
- New York Jazz Choreography Project
- NBC Red Nose Day
- Celebrate Dance at the Ailey Citibank Theater
- Steps Youth Programs’ Holiday Showcase
- Children’s Museum of Manhattan