This year study virtually with New York’s most elite dance makers right from your own home.
Summer Study NYC (SSNYC) is total immersion in New York’s concert and commercial dance worlds for the dancer preparing for a professional career. This year we are taking the experience online as Virtual Summer Study NYC to offer intermediate and advanced dancers, (ages 18 & older) the structure and community of an intensive with like-minded, talented dancers from around world. This multi-disciplinary 4-week session is an opportunity to enhance one’s versatility, technique and artistry. Classes are taught by world renowned masters and our illustrious faculty.
VIRTUAL SUMMER STUDY NYC 2020
Faculty includes: Al Blackstone, James Kinney, Josh Bergasse, Patti Wilcox, Michelle Cave, Paul Peglar (vocal), Cindy Salgado, Jessica Lang, VP Boyle (acting), Corey Snide, Nick Palmquist, choreography by Michael Mindlin, Dana Moore & The Verdon Fosse Legacy, Tiffany Rea-Fisher (Artistic Director, Elisa Monte Dance), Harkness Center for Dance Injuries: Injury Prevention & Nutrition seminars, “Business of Dance” workshop with Fran Kirmser (resumes, reels, marketing & self-promotion), Mental wellness with Wendy Reinert of “Being a Dancer,” private coaching and Q&A sessions with leading industry pros, plus mock audition with a NYC talent agency, a final sharecase for family and friends, and more!
Program subject to change.
- ZOOM sessions will take place between 11am and 6pm Eastern Standard Time including some weekends.
- DAILY TECHNIQUE & ELECTIVE CLASSES with Steps permanent and guest faculty. Classes available in all styles everyday including company ballet class twice per week.
- PREPERTORY – Students will learn works from Dana Moore & The Verdon Fosse Legacy, Broadway’s Michael Mindlin, and a major Contemporary surprise guest. Material will be filmed, edited, and presented in the final “sharecase” as well as on Steps’ social platforms.
- PERFORMANCE SKILLS/VOCAL/ACTING/IMPROVISATION – Discover practical techniques that enhance a performer’s artistry. Go beyond “the steps”. Acting & Vocal coaching plus numerous Q&A sessions to get an inside look directly from pros and their journeys to success.
- HEALTH & WELLNESS SEMINARS – Honor your complete self – body, mind, and spirit. Seminars for total wellness including injury prevention, nutrition, as well as mental and emotional well-being.
- BUSINESS OF DANCE & MOCK AUDITION – With submissions going digital, auditioning on camera is a new skill you’ve got to be ready for! Let’s get you and your materials prepared.
- CREATIVE TOOLS – Each week a guest choreographer will share their creative process with students to apply collaborative approaches to creating movement phrases. Facilitated by Tiffany Rea-Fisher (Artistic Dir., Elisa Monte Dance) this workshop culminates in student compositions presented in the end-of-session “sharecase”. Choreographers from the theatrical and concert dance worlds included.
- SHARECASE PERFORMANCE for all participants, families and friends. Present vocal selections, repertory videos and Creative Tools student projects.
Students from past contemporary intensives have been hired by Regional Theaters, Heidi Latsky Dance and performed at Lincoln Center, The Skirball Center, The High Line, as well as awarded apprenticeships with Rioult Dance NY! and Elisa Monte Dance.